Thursday, August 31, 2006

Estate of Mind - starting work

I am starting to work on my next show, called "Estate of Mind" -- it will open at Amy Inouye's loft/gallery called Future Studio in Highland Park on Saturday evening, October 14 during the Second Saturday art walk. This show will include some of my work incorporating photos I found while cleaning out the house in Pittsburgh and also work by two other artists, Beth Elliott and Suzanne Siegel. Beth has made sculpture out of papers and magazines from her parents' estate and Suzanne has created a series of assemblages using her mother's vintage lingerie and other items. I am enjoying curating as well as thinking about my own new work. My camera is back in the shop at the moment, but I will start adding photos as soon as it comes back.

Right now I am looking at slides taken by my grandfather during the 50s, and I am thinking about ways to incorporate his photos into the work. Interestingly enough, the first slide I looked at was of the LA River, taken right around Elysian Park from the train. He and my grandmother traveled to California from Pennsylvania on the train every Christmas to visit my aunt and her family. Many of his photos were close-ups of flowers. There are also some interesting posed shots of my grandmother and other family members. Looking at these photos is almost like time traveling.

No comments:

Post a Comment